Saturday, August 26, 2006

A Spongeworthy Souvenir


I'd read about the semi-legendary Spongeorama of Tarpon Springs, Florida but I never in my wildest dreams thought I'd stumble upon related souvenirage in this neck of the Virginian woods. The entire town of Tarpon Springs is like "the sponge diving capital of the world" or something so this plate might actually have been originally purchased in some other place besides the lauded Spongeorama, but I'm saying that's where it came fom 'cause it's my blog and that's the way I want it to be.
The plate disturbs me a little in that the sponge diver reminds me of the ghost of Captain Cutler from 'Scooby-Doo, Where Are You' who was the second scariest ghost of them all. I won't reveal to you which ghost scared me the most as a child because my enemies would only use that information against me. All I can say is, even today ghostie #1 makes me cry a little every time I think of him.
Proving once more that the people who run thrift stores are fools, this gaudy little beauty was priced to move at one measly American dollar. I would have easily paid twice as much for it! Which is exactly what I told the little grey-haired lady behind the counter right before throwing back my head, laughing maniacally and gliding from the store in a swirl of capes and mustaches. The gals at my thrifts love me.

No comments: