Monday, August 24, 2009

Waving Goodbye To Summer


Oh, how I hate this time of year....

A week now the kids have been back in school. A week! If school had started before Labor Day back when I was a kid, it would have been my cold, dead body that they would have been busing to classes every morning. Summer is not a thing that I let go of easily. The sweat-drenched brow, the insect bites, the sunburns, the grass stains all over your brand new pants from rolling around on the freshly-mowed lawn. I wear these things like an Eagle Scout wears his badge-covered sash... only I skip the matching kerchief and the khaki-colored knee socks.

Oh, summer! I can't believe that you are almost over! I hardly knew ye and now ye are gone! What happened to all those hazy, humid summer days that I was planning to pass lazing idly by a gently flowing river or driving down some unexplored back road with the windows rolled down and the car full of dust? Well, I know what happened to those days actually... I spent them sleeping late and watching TV in the AC. But, I thought I had more time!

Oh, summer! Here's a little hymn in your honor-


-it's kind of crap, but it was from 1956 so what can you expect.

Oh, summer! You deserved a better hymn than that! I would write one for you myself, but last night's episode of True Blood is waiting for me on the Tivo so I just don't have the time.

Here's another song for you summer. It's a goodbye song written by some ungrateful little nerdliac who actually cannot wait for school to begin. I hope he got beaten up real good on his first day back-


That's all the songs I have for you summer. Starting tomorrow I'll begin a week long series of 'Back to School' related posts, but only because I have to and not because I want to. You'll always be in my heart summer. Except for during the month of October when I give my heart over to Hallowe'en, but up until then and then picking back up again right afterwards you will always be in my heart.

Oh, summer!! Why did you have to go and get all brown and mushy!?!


1 comment:

Mike said...

"Every year on this day, the Summer ends and I have to say good-bye."

"Then don't go."

"I have to! I am what the Summer is: fireflies, thunderstorms, butt-sweat on the car seat. And when it all goes, I have to go, too"

(Paraphrased from the "What we did on our Summer Vacation" episode of the Adventures of Pete and Pete)