Monday, November 13, 2006

Cooked Goose (Original US title: The Mother Goose Murders)

A lot of pictures to load in today's post, but there was just no way that I was going to be able to edit down "Mother Goose Safety Rhymes" to my liking. To fully appreciate this little thrift found wonder you have to experience it in its full glory. What you are about to witness is thirty pages of death, dismemberment and nursery rhymes. It's not for the faint of heart or the weak of stomach. Mr. or Mrs. C. M. Bartrug does not believe in sugar-coating life's darker aspects to shield children's more delicate natures. C.M. Bartrug tells it like it is! Children, the World Is a Dark and Sinister Place Where Everyone and Everything Wants to See You Dead and Bleeding In The Gutters! This is Worst-Case Scenario Fairy Tale Theatre! The Gashlycrumb Tinies Do Mother Goose! This is your darkest nightmares come true!


Enjoy!


Reefer madness! Reefer madness!







"My name is Talky Tina, and I think you should go get my shoe out of the road!"



At least Peg lived to tell her tale.




Agatha Christie called. She says that the body count in this book is getting out of hand.








And yet somehow I don't think that the poor dog will be hungry for long.


By the time Georgy Porgy could make it home the dog was quite full.



Native American, Asian, cross-dresser... I don't know what Little Tee Wee is supposed to be, but it's offensive.


Which will claim her first I wonder- infection or the poisonous spider bite?


How many Little Tees will the Wee family go through before the child welfare people step in?



Although originally published in the 1930's, this book managed to stay in circulation at the Westminster Presbyterian Church until the 1970's. In fact, according to the circulation card in the back, the very last time this book was checked out was the day after I was born! It was never returned. There must be some sort of significance in that...


2 comments:

John Rozum said...

What a great book! It's almost a comic masterpiece, though surely not what the creators intended. You'd never get anything like that published today.

eviedee said...

Thanks for sharing, I am SO GLAD that you included ALL of these wee gems. If I saw Wee Willie Winkie my first concern would be why he is rapping on children's windows in his nitegown!