Saturday, April 14, 2007

Hearts & Stickers

So, April 14th has rolled around once again. April 14th... the 14th day of April... that certain special day of the year when romance is in the air. That one day that is set aside each year to honor St. Valentine, the patron saint of lovebirds. Oh, the flowers and candy and cards that are being passed back and forth between sweethearts even as you're reading- I really don't know where I'm going with this....

Yes, it's two months late but I just picked up a baggie full of Valentine's cards and stickers in a thrift shop this week and knew it would be lost in some junk drawer by Valentine's Day so I figured that I'd just go ahead and post some of them today. I'm even going to use the traditional Valentine's pink font coloring starting riiiiight.... now!

This bag o'Valentine's most likely came from a girl seeing as how the majority of the cards were of the sickeningly sweet Mary Englebright/P. Buckley Moss/"Love Is..." school of design. Girls always bought Valentine's cards that were shamefully lacking in super-heroes, Star Wars characters or bad puns. However, this first batch of cards did benefit from a bit of interactive hide & seek fun-







And then there was this one oddball educational card stuck in amongst the rest. The only thing worse than educational cartoons is educational Valentine's...

The stickers that were in the bag managed a slightly higher score on the coolness scale, excepting this first one-


Snoopy, on the other hand, is always cool...


... as are fuzzy pink-flocked love monsters.

Strangely enough I once played sax in a little jazz combo that went by the name "The Love Phantom." We had those same t-shirts.


It kills me that I'll never know what that missing sticker looked like...

No comments: